rogue n : a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel [syn: knave, rascal, rapscallion, scalawag, scallywag, varlet]
- rōg, /r@Ug/
- A scoundrel, rascal or unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person.
- A mischievous scamp.
- A vagrant.
- Deceitful software pretending to be anti-spyware, but in fact being malicious software itself.
- An aggressive animal separate from the herd, especially an elephant.
- A plant that shows some undesirable variation.
- An entity set apart from the normal order, which acts in an independent manner. This can apply to individuals, states, or other entities.
a scoundrel, rascal or unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person
a mischievous scamp
deceitful software pretending to be anti-spyware, but in fact being malicious software itself
an aggressive animal separate from the herd, especially an elephant
a plant that shows some undesirable variation
an entity set apart from the normal order, which acts in an independent manner
- ttbc German: Schurke, Schelm
- In the context of "of an animal, especially an elephant": Vicious and solitary.
- In the context of "by extension": Large, destructive and unpredictable.
Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- In the minds of Republican hard-liners, the "Silent Majority" of Americans who had elected the President, and even Nixon's two Democrat predecessors, China was a gigantic nuke-wielding rogue state prepared to overrun the free world at any moment.
- 2004: Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- Operating outside of normal controls.
- rouge the shade of red
Rogue may refer to:
In proper names:
- Rogues, Gard, a town in Gard, southern France
In brand names:
- Rogue (automobile), two-door hardtops and convertibles made by American Motors (AMC)
- Rogue (magazine), a men's magazine published in the 1950s and 1960s
- Rogue Ales, a microbrewery in Newport, Oregon
- Rogue Entertainment, a software company
- Rogue Pictures, an American movie studio
- Rogue Wave (company)
- Moog Rogue, an analog synthesizer from the 1980s
- Nissan Rogue, a car by Nissan Motors
In popular culture:
- Rogue (film), a horror/thriller film about a large man-eating crocodile
- Rogue (comics), a member of the X-Men in the Marvel Comics universe
- Rogue (musician), the vocalist of the music group The Crüxshadows
- Rogue Herries, a 1930 novel by Hugh Walpole
- Rogue Male (novel), a 1939 novel by Geoffrey Household
- Rogue Male (1976 film), a film adaptation of the novel
- Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
- Rogue Warrior (book), nickname and autobiographical title for Richard Marcinko
- Rogue Wave (band), a band headed by Zach Schwartz (aka Zach Rogue)
- "Rogues", a song on the Light Grenades album by the band Incubus
- Rogues (comics), a villain team who face the Flash in the DC Comics universe
- Rogues gallery
- The Rogue, a 1918 film starring Oliver Hardy
- The Rogues (TV series), 1964 Golden Globe winner for Best Television Series
- War (film), a 2007 Jet Li movie that had the working title Rogue
In video games:
- Rogue (character class) or Thief, in role-playing games
- Rogue (Dungeons & Dragons) or thief, a base character class in Dungeons & Dragons
- Rogue (World of Warcraft), a class in World of Warcraft
- Rogue (computer game), a 1980 dungeon-crawling computer game
- Rogue, a job class in Ragnarok Online
- Rogue, a person who will not work in SimCity Societies
- Rogue, a playable character class in the Diablo video game series
- Rogue, the first job character for a thief in MapleStory
- Rogue Galaxy, a role-playing game for the Playstation 2 featuring a title hero, Jaster Rogue
- Babylon Rogues, a group of avian thieves in Sonic the Hedgehog
- GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, a James Bond video game published by Electronic Arts
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, a Nintendo 64 video game
rogue in German: Rogue
rogue in French: Rogue
rogue in Italian: Rogue
rogue in Japanese: ならず者
rogue in Vietnamese: Rogue
SOB, bad boy, balker, balky horse, bastard, blackguard, blighter, booger, bounder, buffoon, bugger, bum, cad, charlatan, cheat, churl, contumacious, creep, crock, cross-grained, crowbait, cur, cutup, dastard, devil, disobedient, dog, elf, enfant terrible, fractious, funmaker, garron, goat, good-for-nothing, hack, headstrong, hood, hoodlum, hooligan, imp, incorrigible, independent, intractable, jade, joker, jokester, jughead, knave, lawless, little devil, little monkey, little rascal, louse, minx, mischief, mischief-maker, miscreant, mountebank, nag, pixie, plug, practical joker, prankster, precious rascal, puck, rampageous, rapscallion, rascal, rat, recalcitrant, refractory, roarer, rosinante, rotter, rowdy, ruffian, scalawag, scamp, scapegrace, scoundrel, self-willed, shyster, sneak, spalpeen, stiff, stinker, strong-willed, swindler, trickster, uncontrollable, undisciplined, ungovernable, unmanageable, unpredictable, unrestrained, unruly, villain, wag, wastrel, whistler, wild, wretch